WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom said on Friday that the UN health agency is raising its risk assessment for the Democratic Republic of Congo to "very high", from previously "high".
The risk of regional spread is still assessed as high, while the global risk is low, he told journalists.
The WHO chief noted that 82 cases have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with seven confirmed deaths, "but we know that the epidemic in Congo is much larger."
According to Adhanom, there are now almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths. The situation in neighboring Uganda is "stable," with two confirmed cases in people who traveled from the Democratic Republic of Congo, one of which was a death.





