Two Border Patrol agents temporarily removed from duty after Minneapolis shooting

Published:

Two Border Patrol agents temporarily removed from duty after Minneapolis shooting
Photo: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP/TT

The U.S. Border Patrol may have violated its guidelines while operating in Minnesota, White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller said. The two Border Patrol agents who are reported to have fired shots have been removed from active duty.

Chief of Staff Stephen Miller's statement came after new information that two federal Border Patrol agents fired shots in the fatal shooting of 37-year-old Alex Pretti in Minneapolis last week.

The U.S. Border Patrol has reportedly received "clear guidelines" from the White House that reinforcements would be sent to Minnesota to "create a physical barrier between the intervening forces and those who are disturbing," Miller said.

“We are investigating why CBP (Customs and Border Protection) may have violated those guidelines,” he wrote.

Tricia McLaughlin, a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), said on Wednesday evening that the two agents had been temporarily removed from duty, NBC reported.

According to a new report from the Border Patrol to Congress, which CBS News reviewed, agents attempted to arrest Pretti, who resisted. In the scuffle, another federal agent reportedly shouted several times that Pretti was carrying a gun, at which point two Border Patrol agents fired the fatal shots.

The conclusions were drawn after images from police body cameras and Border Patrol documentation were analyzed, according to AP.

Alex Pretti was shot and killed by federal border agents on Saturday. Previous analysis of the incident shows that Pretti approached the officers with a cellphone in his hand. There is no indication that he attempted to use the weapon he was carrying.

Loading related articles...

Tags

Author

TT News AgencyT
By TT News AgencyEnglish edition by Sweden Herald, adapted for our readers

More news

Loading related posts...