First court appearance for Bondi shooter

Published:

First court appearance for Bondi shooter
Photo: Steve Markham/AP/TT

The man suspected of the terrorist attack on Sydney's Bondi Beach appeared in court for the first time on Monday.

Naveed Akram, who is charged with 15 murders and terrorism offences, said a single word when he appeared via video link to confirm he had heard the proceedings, reports ABC.

The hearing also concerned confidentiality provisions regarding the survivors of the terrorist attack.

Naveed Akram is in a high-security prison and, according to his lawyer, it is still unclear how he will formally respond to the charges.

"We have just started the process, and we are waiting for the evidence," says attorney Ben Archbold.

The trial is expected to start in April.

Facts: The Bondi Beach Terror Attack

TT

At 7pm local time on 14 December 2025, two terrorists threw homemade bombs and then opened fire on a Jewish Hanukkah celebration on Sydney's famous Bondi Beach. The perpetrators were identified as Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram, 24. A total of 15 people were killed, including a 10-year-old girl, and around 40 people were injured in the attack.

According to Australian police, the attack was anti-Semitic and had been planned for months. The perpetrators were influenced by the extremist terrorist group Islamic State. An IS flag and unexploded homemade bombs were found in their car. Sajid Akram was killed by police during the attack. His son Naveed Akram was shot and is suspected of 59 crimes, including one terrorist act and 15 murders.

Loading related articles...

Tags

Author

TT News AgencyT
By TT News AgencyEnglish edition by Sweden Herald, adapted for our readers

More news

Loading related posts...