US Ambassador to the UN Mike Walz explained the move:
Trump is giving talks some space, Walz said in an interview with the influential television programme Fox News Sunday.
According to two sources for the news site Axios, the top US commander in the Middle East, Admiral Brad Cooper, recommended that the president end the nightly airstrikes against targets in Iran and the Strait of Hormuz.
Until last Friday, the US carried out attacks for 13 consecutive days. Since then, the US attacks have almost completely ceased.
On Sunday evening, Iran's military stated that the country had stopped what it called retaliatory attacks against Washington's allies in the Middle East.
According to Mike Walz, progress in negotiations has contributed to Trump's decision to pause attacks. Oman, among others, is said to have been involved in negotiations that took place "at the very highest level down to the technical level."
Walz said at the same time that the United States is "loaded and ready" to attack Iran and that "more equipment has been sent to the region."





