Expanded protection for Jewish groups after London stabbings

Published:

Expanded protection for Jewish groups after London stabbings
Photo: Jamie Lashmar/AP/TT

Condemnatory reactions were unanimous and widespread after stabbings that targeted two men, aged in their 70s and 30s respectively.

The victims were treated in hospital for cuts. Both were reported to be in stable condition.

"Attacks on our Jewish communities are attacks on Britain," said Prime Minister Keir Starmer after the attacks.

Extended support

Starmer promised later in the day that support, including financial support, would be increased to protect Jewish groups in the UK. The announcement came after a meeting with the British crisis group Cobra.

"We need to expand support to get up to the level of protection required," Starmer said.

Condemnation also came from King Charles during his state visit to the United States and from London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

The suspected perpetrator, a 45-year-old man, was reportedly seen running with a knife in the Golders Green area on Wednesday. He was detained by a local security team and was arrested by police on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with an anti-Semitic attack.

Investigated as a terrorist act

After the arrest, police said the incident was being investigated as a "terrorist act," but said the arrested suspect had medical problems.

Hours after the attack, a group with ties to Iran claimed responsibility for the attack. The group, known as Hayi, was relatively unknown until now. It has previously said it was behind attacks on Jewish targets.

The stabbings follow a series of arson attacks against synagogues and communities in recent weeks.

Loading related articles...

Tags

Author

TT News AgencyT
By TT News AgencyEnglish edition by Sweden Herald, adapted for our readers

Keep reading

Loading related posts...