All processes and arrangements being discussed about the future of the Gaza Strip and the Palestinians depend on it, said a Hamas statement, according to AFP. It was released a few hours after U.S. President Donald Trump held such discussions at the first meeting of his so-called peace council.
The Palestinian Islamist movement also demands that the blockade of Gaza be lifted and that the Palestinian people's right to self-determination be affirmed.
Plan takes some shape
According to the ceasefire agreement signed four months ago, Hamas is to be completely disarmed as the next step. This has not happened; instead, reports say the movement has begun to re-establish a presence in Gaza.
When Trump's council met in Washington, D.C., several countries announced that they wanted to contribute - partly with a smaller portion of the money needed for reconstruction, partly with personnel for an international force and to train a new Palestinian police force.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he has heard demands that the first thing that must happen is a complete disarmament of Hamas:
We agreed with our ally the United States that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza until there has been a demilitarization of Gaza.
In the next phase?
U.S. presidential envoy Steven Witkoff announced in mid-January that the process had moved on to phase two, but many analysts and critics point out that the next steps require a more concrete plan for the political future of the Gaza Strip.
Hamas leaders have opposed disarmament, but have been open to transferring weapons to a new Palestinian government. They also oppose what they see as foreign intervention.
Israel has withdrawn forces to a “yellow line” in eastern Gaza as part of the first phase of the ceasefire. Further withdrawal, in a second phase, is conditional on Hamas laying down its arms.
On Oct. 10 last year, Israel and the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas entered into a broader ceasefire after two years of war.
Israel's ally, the United States, brokered the deal in consultation with leading countries from the Arab and Muslim world.
The deal is presented as a comprehensive peace plan with two initial phases. The “peace council” led by Donald Trump has been given a U.N. mandate to lead an international force in Gaza for two years.
Phase one in brief: Fighting ceases, Israeli forces withdraw behind a temporary border, more aid shipments to Gaza, Hamas releases all hostages, Israel releases Palestinian prisoners.
Phase two in brief: A new government for Gaza takes shape under Trump's advice, Hamas is disarmed, Israeli forces continue to withdraw from Gaza, border crossings open, reconstruction of the area begins. The details are still largely being negotiated.





