Bondi Beach relatives demand national inquiry into rise in anti-Semitism

Published:

Bondi Beach relatives demand national inquiry into rise in anti-Semitism
Photo: Mark Baker/AP/TT

Relatives of the victims of the Bondi Beach terrorist attack are calling for a national, independent investigation into the rise in anti-Semitism in Australia, Australian media report.

The claim comes from 17 families with relatives who were injured or killed when two men opened fire on a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach.

The relatives are calling for an independent investigation - a so-called royal commission - at the national level into "the rapidly increasing anti-Semitism" since the Hamas terrorist attack on October 7, 2023 and the "failures in law enforcement, intelligence and policy" that led to the attack on Bondi Beach.

"We demand answers and solutions," the relatives wrote in a statement.

On Monday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said that the country needs to take action rather than wait "for years for answers."

"We must move forward with necessary changes," he said during a press conference.

Albanese has previously said an independent state-level inquiry in New South Wales will have the full support of the government, and an inquiry into the events at Bondi Beach will be launched.

Loading related articles...

Author

TT News AgencyT
By TT News AgencyEnglish edition by Sweden Herald, adapted for our readers

More news

Loading related posts...