A Polish woman was killed and around 30 people were injured in Saturday's attack, which is being investigated as an Islamist terrorist attack.
The following day, Abdul Ballout - the man suspected of driving a van straight into the crowd - was shot dead by police in a cemetery on the outskirts of Berlin.
Now, criticism is being levelled at the handling of the 21-year-old, who as recently as May was sentenced to 22 months in prison for, among other things, preparing a terrorist act after trying to join IS in Syria. According to German media, the man had been known to police since his teens for violent crime, but more recently also as a jihadist.
Restrict freedom of movement
When you look at this, you have to ask yourself: Why is this person on the loose?, says Saxony-Anhalt Minister President Sven Schulze from the Christian Democratic CDU and party colleague of Christian Democratic Chancellor Friedrich Merz, to Deutschlandfunk.
Merz himself asked at a press conference how the attack could have happened, and opened the door to tightening freedom of movement for potential attackers.
"We must react with caution but also with determination, but above all, get answers to the question of how a man (like Ballout) could move freely at the pride event," he said, according to the public service website Tagesschau.
Stern magazine reports that the court applied juvenile law, as Ballout was deemed to have a low level of maturity. The 21-year-old was released from custody and enrolled in a deradicalization program.
The prosecution wanted to see a stricter, non-suspended sentence.
Awaiting investigation
Markus Söder, head of government in Bavaria and leader of the Christian Democrats' sister party CSU, raised the issue on Monday whether deprivation of liberty should be the norm instead of an exception, even for minors, and that people with an extremist background should be able to have their driver's licence revoked.
Terrorists don't need a driver's licence, he says.
According to Tagesschau, Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt will present further proposals within a few days, but the Justice Department warns that it wants to wait for an investigation before proposing harsher punishments.





