The reason was that the command was said to have attacked an oil pipeline in Russia, through which the EU country Hungary receives oil imports. Budapest has also previously shown dissatisfaction that the supply via the Druzjba oil pipeline has been disrupted due to Ukrainian attacks.
In a gesture, Budapest chose not to grant entry permits to Robert Brovdi, with Hungarian roots, who commands the Ukrainian drone forces.
"We urge Hungary to cease further unfriendly actions - and instead initiate a constructive dialogue", wrote Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrij Sybiha on X in response on Thursday.
Commander Brovdi said he disregarded Budapest's "sanctions and restrictions". On the platform Telegram, he wrote that "your hands are soaked in Ukrainian blood - and that we will remember".